Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Soup

It is starting to get a little colder each day, which means it is time for soup! I have warned husband that this season I am going to adventure to make lots of different types of soups and hopefully freeze some to keep on hand. I think it is much more fun to make soups that are old family recipes or at least ones people have tried before. I am planning on trying to invent my own soup...we shall see how that works out. But I figure most soups have similar basis ingredients, so how hard could it be?! Below are my list of soups I would like to try, comment or email me your recipe so I can get cooking. :)

Ideas: potato, chicken noodle, cauliflower, broccoli and cheddar, chili, tortellini, italian wedding,french onion, corn chowder, egg drop, tomato, tortilla, wonton, etc.

Here is one I found online that I think sounds yummy.

Loaded Potato Soup
4 slices bacon, cooked til crisp reserving 1 Tbsp fat
1 small onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves (adjust to your taste-I love garlic!), minced
6 large potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon basil
salt & pepper to taste
green onion, sliced thinly (I didn't have green onion so for some green color I used some fresh parsley)
shredded cheese (I used Colby)
2 cups half and half
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3 Tablespoons flour

In large saucepan saute onion and garlic in reserved bacon fat. Add potatoes, chicken broth and basil to pan and simmer until potatoes are tender. Using potato masher, slightly mash potatoes.

Mix flour with half and half and hot sauce, then stir into potato mixture. Cook until slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve soup topped with crumbled bacon pieces, shredded cheese and green onion.

2 comments:

Phil said...

i want to make the loaded potato soup. it's got good stuff like bacon, hot sauce and half and half in it. it has to be good. i made some chicken noodle soup last nite and had your mom, my daughter Becky and her husband and kids over. they raved about it. hope you are feeling well and gaining weight

Phil
tell Jeremy i said hey

Anonymous said...

try Indonesian Recipe at http://sukamemasak.blogspot.com