Friday, December 12, 2008

Piper quote based off of Isaiah 51:12,13

Why is anxiety about the future a form of pride? God gives the answer: "I--the Lord, your Maker--I am He who comforts you, who promises to take care of you; and those who threaten you are mere men who die. So your fear must mean that you do not trust me. You must think that your protection hangs on you. And even though you are not sure that your own resources will take care of you, yet you opt for fragile self-reliance, rather than faith in future grace. So all your trembling--weak as it is--reveals pride." The remedy? Turn from self-reliance to God-reliance, and put your faith in the all-sufficient power of future grace.
-john piper: battling unbelief

How easy it is for me to drift towards self-reliance instead of God-reliance. My prayer over the next year is that I would grow in this area, resting in the promises of God's word, and to not try so hard to be the lord over my life and trust in the one who sustains my life.

No comments: